The last time I was this happy with a Japanese restaurant was in Tokyo this summer… We stumbled upon this little gem of a place unsuspectingly on a rainy autumn day a stone’s throw from Putney Station and has all the vibes of a traditional little Japanese restaurant in Tokyo. The interior is clean and simple with the walls decorated with sake advertising cloth banners and kimono tops. The staff and chefs are all from Japan and are some of the sweetest and most accommodating service staff I have come across. The food is a an absolute winner, the Unagi Don (teriyaki eel rice bowl) is one of the best I have had in London and it was just amazing value for the quality food you get. A true gem where Japanese hospitality is alive and true and just a fantastic place to bring friends for some great Japanese food.
WHAT I LOVE
– Traditional authentic Japanese food and place in West London which I have found rare to come by!
– Amazing value lunch sets starting from £10 for a duo Donburi (teriyaki, chirashi, katsu..etc) and Udon bowl.
– The Unagi Don (eel teriyaki) bowl is an absolute WINNER. Best one I have had in London hands down!
– Really gorgeous sushi, the negi toro maki was fresh and authentic.
– The prawn tempura batter was crispy, crumbly and creamy.
– Unlimited Japanese green tea, delish!
WHAT TO KNOW
– The portions aren’t the largest so don’t expect huge bowls but for me the portions were just right and the quality of the food was high. There is something to be said for Japanese restaurants that don’t use rice as a filler to space out the meals.
– Sitting outside was fantastic for taking beautiful natural light photos but realistically extremely stressful with the traffic going by. Feel free to do it for the gram (like we did) but I would definitely recommend popping into a warm cosy table indoors for a peaceful and zen time.
– There is no website so the only way to book would be to call in; it is a pretty popular place so I would recommend booking if you are sure you are going. However, a walk-in was also very doable during a week day lunch.
+44 20 3730 7884
292 Upper Richmond Road, London SW15 6TH, England
(Closest station – Putney Station – five min walk)
CLOSED MONDAYS AND TUESDAYS